Ten Signs That Your Dojo Doesn’t Teach Self-Defence
1. You only train for competitions/sport karate.
2. You never practice elbows or low kicks.
3. Weapons training involves lots of twirling.
4. You have lots of medals and trophies, some just for turning up.
5. You’re awarded a black belt in less than 3 years.
6. You’re taught that knives are easy to disarm.
7. What’s bunkai?
8. You never practice real-life scenarios.
9. What’s groundwork?
10. Your instructor has never been in a fight.
Sensei Stephen O’Brien